Saturday, May 11, 2013

Making an Old Fashioned With Tullamore Dew

I normally make an Old Fashioned with bourbon, usually Jim Beam black label 8-year aged.  I tried it tonight with Tullamore Dew and I liked the result.  Here is the recipe.

Place in tumbler, or more specifically, an old fashioned glass:

1 rounded teaspoon granulated sugar

2 maraschino cherries
1 section mandarin orange, peel removed (2 if small)
1 teaspoon club soda (water will do in a pinch)
Muddle the mixture well (it is best to have a muddler, but the back end of an ice cream scoop can also work)

Add 3-4 ice cubes

Pour 2 oz. of Bourbon or Whiskey
Add 3 dashes of Angastura Bitters

Stir the mixture

Most recipes call for garnishing with an orange slice.  I don't because I am too impatient to get the first sip.

Pictured at left is a stainless steel muddler.

No comments:

Post a Comment