Wednesday, January 6, 2010

What is News?

Tecolote Canyon from the air, looking south.

I took my dog for a walk at 8:30 this evening. As I left the house, I saw two police helicopters circling over Tecolote canyon with their search lights trained on the terrain below. They made quite the spectacle and noise and I kept an eye on them as I made the long trek around my neighborhood. They were up for at least a half hour and eventually flew off. But it got me thinking, about what is news. If you're like me, you read the paper, the internet watch television and feel well informed. But this little event that unfolded before my eyes has not been reported anywhere that I can find. Knowing the canyon is a haven for the homeless (almost said bums) and illegals and that there has been at least one murder there, I have to believe that something was up.

Earlier in the day, my son said he saw two Border Patrol SUVs flying up I-5, an unusual sight. Same story, no news from that either. And I am not sure whether that was related to what I saw later in the evening.

It just makes you wonder what else is going on where you will never really learn the full story.

1 comment:

  1. I know I never heard anything about the illegals taking pot-shots at fire fighters-- I only heard about it because my cousin was there.

    My money is that it's related to that drug war you hear about sometimes.

    ReplyDelete